Monday 19 October 2009

Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say

“I reckon I literally use the word ‘actually’ about 50 times a day, it's so random, basically, I’m going to stop, you know what I mean?”
Do you ever stop and listen to the way people speak?

More importantly, have you ever stopped to think about how you speak?
We all have our own quirks and foibles in the way that we speak.

The one that we all share is the use of superfluous words where none are needed.
I’d like to propose an amnesty, where the words basically, actually and literally are banned.

Make it like a swear jar, where the offending speaker has to donate money to charity.
The moment you start thinking about these words, you’ll be amazed at how often you use them.
We all want to know that when we speak, people are listening.

So chop out all the filler and don’t let dead words get in the way of what you’re trying to communicate.
My simple rule – don’t say it if you wouldn’t write it.