Wednesday 28 October 2009

I Wanna Tell You A Story

As I write this blog, I sometimes find myself thinking of William Shakespeare.
I picture him sitting at his desk, chewing on his quill and wondering why turkey feathers taste so nasty.
I wonder where he found his inspiration, and what made him become our greatest ever writer.

The thing is, he didn’t have that many great ideas, but he was a great story-teller.
In fact, Shakespeare’s entire oeuvre has been broken down into seven basic plots:
Authenticity
Performance
Passion
Challenge
Empowerment
Liberation
Possibility

Each one of these simple prompts managed to fuel some of the most remarkable literature in history.
Which goes to show that it’s not the originality of your idea that counts, but the way you tell your story that really matters.