Tuesday 30 June 2009

It’s All In Your Head

Charles VI of France, known to his friends as Charles the Mad, suffered from the bizarre delusion that he was made of glass.
So strong was his conviction that he even had iron bars sewn into his clothing, believing that this would prevent him from shattering if he was to fall.

Although he made these efforts to remedy his situation, and probably slowed himself down no end, the problem never went away because it was all in his head.
It’s so easy to confuse what’s going on in our head with reality; we do it all the time.
“I shouldn’t phone them, I’d just be disturbing them.”
“I can’t ask her out, she wouldn’t be interested.”
“I know I’m entitled to that discount, but I bet they won’t give it to me.”
So fearing the worst, we fail to do the things we should.
It doesn’t matter how in-depth these internal dialogues are, they’ll always remain internal.
If you really want to know what’s going on, you have to be prepared to make the first move.
You’d be amazed at the results if you just get out of your own way.