Wednesday 17 June 2009

What’s My Motivation?

Richard Denny ,who I’ve known personally for over 25 years, is one of the UK's leading voices on sales, management and personal development training.
One of my favourite of Richard’s exercises is around motivation and uses a mobile phone.
Speaking to a crowded room of assorted management types, he asks who could sell 200 phones, if he was to offer them £2 for every one they sold.
Time and time again, only a couple of people raise their hand
(They’re usually the ones representing the sales department)
So he tries a different approach.

This time, he asks who can sell 200 phones if he was to offer them say ..a £5,000 bonus for selling the lot?
Every hand in the room shoots in the air.
So what’s the difference?
Motivation.
The first time you everyone worries about the task at hand; “I’m sure I could sell one to my mother, Uncle Jim will have one, Nigel at the golf club, maybe Mary in the canteen”
The second time you don’t have those internal conversation, those barriers are removed, all you think is “That’s worth having I can make that happen”
There’s a point where each of us re-evaluates our capabilities and realises that we’re capable of more than we realised.
If you can figure out what your motivation is, you’ll find it that much easier to surpass expectations.