Monday 2 March 2009

Small Steps and Giant Leaps

Not sure what sort of parent it makes me and I’m sure that my children are getting the rough end of the deal but I feel I learn more from my children than they learn from me.

My son Fox (yes Fox) is 13 and he's currently playing the lead role in Billy Elliot the Musical in at The Victoria Palace Theatre
www.billyelliotthemusical.com in London's West End. Seats at all prices

He's been in the role for nine months now, but I can still remember his debut clearly. I sat in the stalls with family and friends and I was more than a little nervous.
He came on stage and he looked great, relaxed assured and wonderful. At the end he got a got a standing ovation.

At the after show party (the rock and roll life style at 13 what can I tell you!) after congratulating him

I asked how he'd managed to stay so calm and confident.
He told me that before the show he had been shaking so hard he could barely stand still, he mimed being attached to pneumatic drill.


But as the curtains went up he reminded himself how long he'd been working for this, and that this was exactly the place he wanted to be, all he had to do to fulfil his ambition was take one small step on to the stage.
So he stepped and changed his life.

I thought that was pretty insightful for a 13 year old. And there's something we can all learn from.
This economic downturn has us all trembling in the wings.
But we have talent, we are focused and driven.
Now's the time to perform. Like the saying goes, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

So make that leap, the ovation is sure to follow.