Friday 15 May 2009

Win Quickly, Lose Slowly

I was recently reminded of an old friend I had back in primary school.
His name was Alan Harvey, and he had the strange idea that you only had a certain number of breaths in your life. Maybe he was getting mixed up with heartbeats (here’s the other story)
Anyway, you’d often see him, when he though no-one was looking, holding his breath as long as he could, trying to prolong his life, even as he turned beetroot red.
As much as I laughed at the time (I was cruel), I now find myself thinking a little bit like Alan.
Only my non-renewable resource is energy.
At work it’s in limited supply and needs to be used carefully. An hour long meeting can be a waste of time and can drain everyone’s energy.
There’s a finite amount in any pitch, so the pitch team need to use it wisely.
One of the ways to build toward successful pitch results is to keep energy levels up, instead of running them down.
That means stay positive, short, lively meetings, and fun wherever you can find it.