Thursday 14 May 2009

Nice Guys Finish Second

Yesterday’s post about business being personal got me thinking about another hoary old cliché that pops up all too often.
It’s the idea that ‘nice guys finish second’.
I thought these unpleasant aphorisms died out in the 1980s with red braces and airbrushed posters.
If a nice guy finishes second, it’s not because he’s nice. It’s because he wasn’t trying hard enough. Similarly, you don’t have to be Tony Soprano to be good at business.
Last night I watched Sir Alan Sugar fire Mona on The Apprentice (to you guys in the US he’s our Donald Trump) and marveled at the media persona the BBC have created for him.
He bellows that he’s the “most belligerent boss you’ll ever have” but I’m afraid I’m not convinced. After all, when it comes to the interview round, he brings on his colleagues who’ve worked for him for 20-30 years.

If Sir Alan was really as objectionable as his TV personality, there’d be no-one left in his business.
I can safely say that I’ve never met anyone successful who was genuinely unpleasant, which isn’t to say that there aren’t a few of them out there.
On the whole though, unpleasantness and real success are mutually exclusive.