Monday 18 May 2009

Help I Want To Be Different

I was at a presentation given by The Right Honourable The Lord Coe, often known through his career simply as Seb Coe, the other day, and one of the recurring themes in his speech was about being unafraid to do things differently.
He believed that the key to his success, or in his case, many, many, successes was to change the paradigm of what it took to ...break world records (8 outdoor and 3 indoor) or to win 2 Olympic gold medals, and even to bid to host the Olympics games.
For instance, when it came to presenting London’s bid for 2012, he challenged accepted wisdom and took a group of East London schoolchildren with him to make the point about the next generation of sporting stars.

At the time, he was told “they won’t like that”, but as he pointed out, not only was London 2012 successful but now every bid city adds a cast of ‘supporters’ to their core team.
As you may imagine creating a “new way” means opening yourself up to criticism and being objectified in the spotlight.
It also means the pain of sometimes standing alone.

This is something I've done all through my business life, and although I can't say that I have a cabinet full of gold medals, I've certainly enjoyed my fair share of wins.
So if you really want to be successful, show no fear and be prepared to stand out.
The rewards are worth it.