Thursday 17 December 2009

Sit Down, I Have Some Good News

We’ve got to know each other a bit over the last year.

I know some of you get upset when I write on certain topics

You know that I try and look at things positively

I believe there is way of framing most things in a positive way, in a “sales way”.

Now, I want to imagine you’re in hospital.

You’re wearing one of those flappy gowns that flies open at the merest hint of a draft.

The consultant comes in with a grave face, and tells you that you have to undergo serious surgery.

He goes on; the good news is that of the last 100 people to have the surgery, 90 are still alive after five years.

You feel pretty confident about that and opt for the surgery.

Imagine how you might have felt if he had informed you that of the last 100 people to have the surgery, 10 of them were dead within five years.

Let me assure you, you would have felt less likely to risk the operation.

Same facts , different delivery style.

Sometimes we have to confront some difficult truths with our clients.

But there is usually a way to tell our stories in a positive way.

Let me be clear.

It’s not about lying or fudging the truth.

It’s about having the confidence to remain upbeat and constructive.

Remember it’s the way you tell it.