Monday 15 March 2010

Testing Times

Have I mentioned my son before?

No, not Fox, I know he's been here
before.
My other son Ted is one of the smartest people I've ever met.

And he's only sixteen.
He's currently studying for his GCSEs and today he had to take one of
his exams.
That meant he spent most of the weekend preparing.
As he practiced his presentation, I remembered the words of Marshall
McLuhan, who famously said that we learn through experience.
The thing is, I can't teach Ted - he already knows far more about his
subjects than I ever will.
But that doesn't mean I can't help him.
This weekend, the task was helping him to realise that
knowing your subject is only half the story.
It's all about finding a way of telling your story so that the
audience will be able to share it with those around them

(and above them)
You have to get out there and figure out how to portray yourself in
the best possible light.
Every pitch is an exercise in sales, not showing them how much time
you spent working things out.
Of course, expect all this to change when Ted starts to coach his Dad on how to dance

at a family wedding