Monday 22 February 2010

We Are Sorry The Flight Is Delayed

Have you ever sat in the departure lounge and heard one of “those” announcements.
The ones that goes something like this:
“We are sorry for the late departure of your flight, this is due to the late arrival of the incoming plane
Have you ever wondered what the heck is going on?
You maybe think, the incoming flight was theirs too.
You maybe think, that’s not really a reason.
It’s a bit of psychology that we are all susceptible to
Adding any type of reason, a “because” makes any explanation rational.
In a queue in a copy shop a researcher asked to jump the queue by giving a reason
“Can I jump the queue, because I am in a rush?”
94% of people complied.
Good reason, right?
So they changed the reason.
“Can I jump the queue because I need to make copies?”
Excuse me?
That’s why everybody is in the line to begin with.
Yet 93% of people complied.
A request with a “because” in it.
Before you ask, yes there was a control question
It was ”Can I jump the line, please?”
It generated only 24% compliance.
So try it tomorrow.
“Sorry I’m late, it’s because …..I’m late”
Let me know how you get on!