Tuesday 16 February 2010

Perspective

Hang out the bunting and light a candle.

I realised the other day that Depth Perception is almost a year old.

When I started the blog, my intention was to take an alternate view of issues affecting our industry and the world beyond it.

As I’ve been looking back at some of the early posts,

I realised that the theme of perspective has come up time and time again.

I was reminded of this again today when Chris Barez-Brown came in to help out on a project.

When it comes to delivering capabilty programmes, Chris isn’t the kind of trainer who turns up with a bunch of facts to impart.

His skill is to encourage the people he’s working with to take an alternative view of the challenge they’re facing.

A change of perspectives can ultimately transform the context, approach and solution.

It’s all too easy to get bogged down by the task in hand.

And in doing so, we ignore the opportunity to see the bigger picture.

Sometimes it’s a simple as looking up at the sky, rather than scrutinising the ground in front of us.