Friday 18 March 2011

Standing Out

Yeah, yeah, I know.
A bit of time off work and I get sucked into a vortex of trash TV.
But learning is every where.
For instance, I've been enjoying Paddy McGuinness on Take Me Out for the last three weeks.
If anyone asks, I just tell them that the kids like it.
But watching it, week in week out, I noticed a distinct pattern emerging.
Let me bring you up to speed, just in case you have better things to do on a Saturday evening.
The show features 30 girls who stand behind an illuminated plinth.
A single guy enters the arena, and over the next three rounds, the girls switch off their lights if they're not interested in him.
As the host says, "No likey, no lighty".
It's highbrow stuff.
So, here's my point.
Once the girls have played, it's the boys' turn.
He gets to choose from any of the ladies with their lights still on.
During the previous part of the show, Paddy has picked a few girls at random for a bit of chat and banter.
Funnily enough, when the guy makes his final selection, it's always one of the people Paddy has already spoken to.
It just goes to show, even when you're faced with an army of competition, there's a way to stand out. Make sure that, when crunch time comes, you get picked.
And sometimes, it has nothing to do with the way you play the game.
So what are you gonna do to make sure the decision maker remembers you?