Friday 19 November 2010

Why Put Yourself Out There?

Winning new business, to paraphrase Jerry Maguire is an up-before-dawn, back-breaking rollercoaster ride of hard work.
So much so that I’ll never tell you about.
So why do I do it?
Because I understand just how good every other agency is.
And I know how hard they work to get new clients.
If you want to be the best, which Jack Morton is, you have to be better.
You have to work harder.
So I turn up to every networking opportunity.
I take every meeting.
I make calls late at night and throughout the weekend.
There’s no ‘off’.
Could I get by with saying no a few times?
Yes I could.
And that’s the point.
I always say yes.
Saying ‘no’ quickly becomes a habit.
Do you want to work late?
No.
Do you want to get involved in this pitch?
No
Can we meet at 8?
No
No means less work.
No means the comfort zone.
No is not a challenge.
But Yes.
There’s a word.
That means extra effort.
That’s full of hard work.
That’s rife with possibilities
And if you use it right... full of new business.