Thursday 4 November 2010

What Do We Tell The Children?

I always know when I walk in the front door that the kids will ask me about my day.
What have I been up to?
Where did I go?
Who did I see?
I try to sketch out the physical bits - the travel, the meetings, the conversations,
What I don't tell them about is all the emotional stuff.
That great conversation with a client or colleague.
When we're talking about work, but having a great time doing it.
The time that we unlocked a tricky brief and pulled together a great solution as a team.
Or how about when we came to a global brief a week behind the other agencies, and had to shift half the agency around to get the job done?
Not forgetting those great moments when hard working and talented junior members of the team get rewarded with a promotion (well done Zoe and Ellie).
They're the things I don't tell the kids about.
Maybe because there's so much to explain.,
I don't tell them, and I should.
Because that's what it's about.
That's what it's always been about.
The relationships.
Invest in them and you'll never be poor.
And the kids?
Don't worry about them - they read the blog, so now they know.