Friday 3 September 2010

I Love My Job.

No really, I do.
Why not?
After all, sales is full of precious little victories.
A million moments that all warrant the Didier Drogba/Steven Gerrard/Cesc Fabrigas slide across the pitch on your knees.
A meeting .........yes!
A pitch.......get in!
A win ........COME ON!!!
There's nothing better.
Actually, that’s not strictly true.
Because sales is about people.
The relationships, the stories and the learning.
I was on a call with Josh McCall , our chairman and CEO, yesterday and he was telling me a quick story about THE Jack Morton.
You all know he was a real person and founder of the business, right?
Anyhoo...
One of Jack’s core beliefs was that the most important word in a salesman’s dictionary is “help”.
Not just “Hello, how can we help?” but also “I need your help with this...”
This is a business that depends on teamwork and collaboration, especially with our clients.
Simple fact, but easy to forget.
Asking for help changes the dynamic of relationship, from attack and defence to one of respect and support.
It’s a very powerful lesson from a guy who knew a few things.
Thanks for your help Jack.