Monday 6 December 2010

It’s Not Just A Job’

For the longest time, I’ve been arguing that sales is a ‘real’ job.
Not in the way that Pinocchio was a real boy.
I mean that it has its own tangible skill-set and place within the agency world, alongside creatives, planners and account directors.
(Repeat after me – new business is the life blood of the agency...)
Anyhoo
Today I’m focusing on the sales attitude, rather than the sales function
It’s always answering with ‘yes’
It’s ensuring everyone understands that nothing is too much trouble
It’s agreeing to a meeting even though it may go nowhere
It’s understanding exactly what’s needed and how to get it done
It’s believing we can win, no matter how dicey the odds
It’s recognising that ‘no’ really just means ‘not yet’
It’s never wasting a single contact
And it’s never letting your ego get in the way of the right course of action.
No-one said it was going to be easy, but believe me, it’s worth the effort