Tuesday 21 December 2010

Christmas Is A Time For ...Leaving

I was in a meeting with our MD, Julian, the other day, and as the snow began to fall our conversation turned to Christmas.
It didn’t take long for a seasonal depression to descend as we discussed how many marriages tend to break up at this time of year.
And all the people who leave their jobs in January.
Not to mention the spate of suicides.
It’s that end of year thing.
We take stock of what we’ve done, what we should have done, and what we should be doing instead.
It’s all thrown into sharp relief by the new date at the top of the calendar.
My advice: don’t look at it as the end.
See it as a time for new beginnings.
Decide what it is that you’re going to do differently.
This is not about “I’m giving up chocolate” resolutions.
You need to think big picture.
So I’ll let you into a little secret.
Here’s mine: I’m going to win the biggest client account for the agency in 2011.
That’s my focus - everything else that happens will be as a result of that one thing.
The smaller client accounts, the one-off projects, the networking and the conference speaking.
It’ll all be as a result of driving to my one simple objective.
I’ll let you know how it goes.