Thursday 1 July 2010

Teşekkür Ederim

That's thank you in Turkish.........So before we begin a few things to say.
First thank you for continuing to read and support my blog it really is much appreciated.
Second, I want to apologise for a rather inconsistent week of posts.
I've been clocking up the air miles over the last few days.
In fact, this blog is coming to you from beautiful Rhode Island, USA.

(More of that over the coming days and weeks)
Last week I was in Turkey, where I was speaking at the 13th (unlucky for some?) Brand Marker Conference.
It was a great event, and another fantastic opportunity to meet new people and share ideas.
It's three years since I was last in Turkey, and I was really struck by how much things had changed.
Now, it may sound rather trivial, but my rule of thumb for judging the prosperity of an emerging economy is the car stock used by it's cab drivers.
As I walked out of the airport, the first thing I noticed was the vast fleet of shiny new cabs lined up outside.
But it's also the leapfrogging of technology and attitudes.
In more developed countries we find our progression and evolution is restricted by existing investments and infrastructure that we need to protect.
Conversely, emerging economies like Turkey are much freer to just go for it.
There's an interesting lesson here for those of us who live in the agency world.
Entrenched attitudes and behaviours can get in the way of true development.
Don't be afraid to change everything.