Monday 31 October 2011

Change is the only constant

Those that have heard me speak at an event will know that I talk about change.
A lot!
As my own personal guru Tom Peters says, "if you don't like change, you're in the wrong business, whatever business you are in".
The world is constantly changing.
And in these technologically-enhanced times, it's changing faster than ever.
Sometimes, we have to run just to catch up.
So I find it weird that so many people remain resistant to progress.
They actively shun evolution, dig in their heels and steadfastly refuse to move on.
Some of them even go so far as to take pride in the 'Luddite' approach, arguing that when the world shifts back, they'll be in exactly the right place.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
And the more ridiculous they look.
I always think of Trigger, the po-faced buffoon in long-running sitcom 'Only Fools and Horses'.
He once proudly announced:
"I've had the same broom for 20 years."
"It's had 17 new heads ...........................and 14 new handles."
You can keep telling yourself that nothing's changed.
But in actual fact, everything has.