Friday 25 February 2011

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu

Brace yourself.
Have a sit down.
Pour a stiff drink.
After four years of perspiration, dedication and cogitation, I’ve resigned from Jack Morton.
I’ll be leaving behind some good friends, great colleagues and fantastic clients.
But I’m also excited about the new opportunities that lay ahead.
Leaving a job, especially when you love it as much as I did, is always strange.
No matter how indispensable you think you are, it doesn’t take long for the waters to close over your head.
Before too long, you’re a footnote.
An anecdote.
And a scapegoat.
Expenses will be claimed in your name.
Missed opportunities will be laid at your door.
That’s just the way it goes.
At times like this, it’s important to focus on the positives.
The things you learned, the achievements you made and the friends you won.
And remember that there are plenty more where those came from.
I’ll see you on the other side