Friday 4 February 2011

An Experience To Remember

This week I had another speaking engagement.
This time it was at the Event Production Show at the Olympia.
And, just like always, I learned a lot just by showing up.
The thing that struck me, was how much has changed in the four years
I've been at Jack Morton.
Back in the early days, my presentations about brand experiences were
received very differently.
Sure, people were engaged.
What can I say - I'm a funny guy (or so I'm told).
But the topic of my presentation was only of passing interest.
When you're up there on stage, you can tell when your audience isn't really
buying.
It's a sales thing - you learn to read people.
But something changed in the last 18 months.
Now, people sit up and take notice.
Maybe I'm a better speaker than I was.
Perhaps the refined content makes my position clearer.
To be honest though, I think those things are incidental.
We know the trading climate has changed.
Budgets are being squeezed.
And the pressure's on.
Suddenly, the brand experience is at the top of everyone's to-do list.
I could feel that everyone in the room was heading in the same direction.
The right direction.
As an industry, it's up to us to make it happen.
It was a powerful moment.
So thanks to everyone who played a part.
Time to get to work.