Friday 27 February 2009

Same Difference.....no not them

This Tuesday I was privileged enough to speak at the Marketing Week Brand Summit, thanks to Michelle and Sherrie of Centaur.
My brief was to speak about brand building in the recession, surprise surprise. But as I worked on my presentation, I started to realise that my story wasn't really about the recession at all. It was about behaviours.
In the end, I talked about my behaviour, the audience's behaviour, consumer behaviour and brand behaviour.
Do I win points each time I say 'behaviour'?

It was a shame really that many of the people who spoke weren't able to stick around and see some of the other presentations. They missed inspiring stuff from amongst others Kristof Fahey of Yahoo, Simon Ainslie of Nokia, Ian Armstrong from Honda, and Stephen Cheliotis, Chair of the Super Brands Council.

But as well as missing some great presentations and compelling speakers, they also didn't get to see just how closely aligned we all were.

That's the thing - behaviour really is everyone's key focus right now. They might not all have made the explicit connection, since they were viewing the world through their own distinctive prisms. But it was clear that for everyone in the brand sphere, it's behaviour that counts. More specifically, tribal behaviour.

It's at this point that I'd like to mention Seth Godin, although I don't know why - he never mentions me. His new book is all about tribes. In it, he unpicks the notion of communal connectivity and the need for leadership and a sense of belonging.

Interestingly, that's what the Brand Summit was. A tribal gathering of like-minded people looking for leadership.
And I'm happy to say I think our tribe is in safe hands.