Tuesday 3 May 2011

What An Experience

This time last week, I was flying to Sweden to present at an industry event.
The subject?
Experience marketing of course - haven't you been paying attention?
After the speech, I took questions from the floor.
One in particular really stood out.
Because it challenged me to really think about my perspective on the subject about which I'd just spoken at length.
Someone in the crowd had endured, rather than enjoyed, a recent trip with Ryanair.

(Budget airline for you guys outside the UK)
Having listened patiently to me extolling the virtues of the brand experience, they asked "Isn't Ryanair just about price, rather than experience?"
My first reaction was to blurt out "yes, probably".
But the more I spoke, the more my opinion began to shift.
If experience marketing is delivering a brand's promise across every touch point, then you could argue that Ryanair is truly living the experience.
I never said it had to be a good experience, just a consistent one.
Think about the following no-frills touchpoints:
"Extra for luggage - wow this must be cheap"
"Pay for the lavatories - wow this must be cheap"
"No seat allocation - wow this must be cheap"
It might not top your list of 'favourite ways to spend a few hours', but as an on-brand experience it's hard to beat.
Everyone you tell about your flight will think two things, guaranteed.
"That sounds awful."
And "You must have got a great deal."
At that point, anyone planning a flight simply has to choose whether they want the bells and whistles, or the bare bones.
And if it's the latter, you know who they'll be booking with.
If that is indeed their strategy, you have to admire their singlemindedness.
It seems to work, even if the reclining seats don't.