Thursday 1 November 2012

To CV Or Not To CV


I’m not one of those guys that bemoans the youth of today. The fact that I’m responsible for three of them would make me something of a hypocrite.
Even so, I recognise that the bravado of youth, combined with a glaring lack of experiences can make for a daunting combination.
Today’s blog is aimed at those youngsters (or young-at-heartsters) who are thinking of making their first steps out into a wider world by sending out a CV and seeing what comes back.
I’ll save you the effort: it won’t bring back anything but rejection.
If you don’t mind, and it doesn't seem too presumptuous, could I offer a little advice on how to improve your job opportunities?
For now, I’m going to talk about the CV thing. We can cover off LinkedIn and all things social very soon.
Let’s start by understanding one simple thing:

One Simple Thing!
 Every company is looking for people that are going to make a difference, and who really want to work for the company

Sending off the same CV and cut-and-pasted e-mail to everyone does not tell them that you’re that special someone.
How many CVs are you sending at a time?
10? 20?
 As the numbers go up, the chances of getting anything back goes down.
To be blunt, you’re just going through the motions of getting a job. What you’re doing is just plain lazy. If you really cared, you’d make an effort. You do a little wooing (ask your parents about that one).
You need to grab the attention of people like me, who are receiving 20 CVs a week. You see, I can get lazy too, so if someone doesn’t grab me by the lapels, I’m likely to file your CV in the ‘ignored folder’. It’s round, and sits just under my desk.

So let’s stop, collaborate and listen. Sorry to all the Vanilla Ice fans.....both of you.

First lesson in standing out

Before you fire off your standard CV, with a standard e-mail, please go the company's website and understand what each company's positioning is, what they stand for, and what makes them different. Then revise your CV and accompanying e-mail to highlight how you can add value to their clients and their offer. Simple, and obvious. So why don’t more people do it?

Second lesson in standing out
It’s all about the money, money, money. Again, sorry all you Jessie J fans.  
You’re talking to a business and, for them, results are key. Understanding how your contribution will impact those results, is a great way to get noticed. So key highlights are vital, for example you could show the average budget for the events you ran, savings you made, efficiencies you created, sales you generated.

Third lesson in standing out
Don’t do what everyone else does.
"Hard working, enthusiastic, energetic, motivated, self-starter” are words that everyone who sends in a CV uses.
They may be worth a high score in Scrabble, but they won’t help you to stand out. 
What about including quotes from previous employers and clients? We’re much more likely to believe it if you’re not talking about yourself.

Fourth lesson in standing out
Have an opinion.
What have you seen that “my” company has done, what have you seen that “I’ve” done, what did you think?

Finally
You are firing off these CV to busy people, recognise that, and try and take all of the work out of the next step.
“I see you are speak at the xyz conference, I’m going to be there - perhaps we could grab a coffee.”
“I met xyz and zyx from your company the other day, and they suggested I drop in when I’m in the area.”

In summary…
If you’re firing off a general CV to people you don’t know or have no interest in, they’ll soon pick that up.
Put some effort in, and enjoy the rewards.