Monday 17 January 2011

Making Sense Of It All?

Wow.
We’re only three weeks into the new decade and already the pace of life is kicking our arses.
At least, I’m guessing it’s not just me who’s feeling that way.
The amount of time we have to complete our tasks is being squeezed.
There’s more to be done, and less assistance to help get it done.
And as if that wasn’t enough, we have to keep track of everything else that’s going on.
Because that’s how you end up with real world solutions, rather than hypotheticals.
So we read more.
Watch more.
Listen more.
Consume, digest, interpret.
Repeat to fade.
And that’s just our work lives.
What about home?
Remember I talked before about Nicolas Negroponte who talked about eggs?
Our lives used to be liked poached eggs – white for work and yolk for home.
Now our eggs are scrambled, and there’s no waitress giving us the choice.
So we work at home.
The phone’s always on.
If we need childcare, we arrange it from the office.
It’s all so messy.
So complicated.
And the bad news?
I don’t see things changing anytime soon.
Want some more good news?
How about the fact that marketing is changing too?
After all, consumers are all facing the same evolving reality.
And they’re subdividing into new sectors all the time.
What does the world look like for ‘austerity teenies’?
So many questions, it’s enough to make you want to go back to bed and pull the covers over your head.
But don’t despair.
I may not have the answers, but I’m setting myself the challenge of finding them out.
Where are we going and how do we get ahead of the curve?
That’s my mission for 2011.
I hope you’ll join me on the journey.